Tuesday, May 16, 2017

My current book and the question it makes me think of.

Hello there reader. How do you do? I have finished reading Of Mice and Men. It was an okay book and the ending was a little sad. I recommend it because it is short and tells a good tale. I am getting closer to my reading goal which is good. I have not really been reading more outside of school and I don't think I will this year just because it is getting closer to the end of the school year. YAY!
Here is a little update on what I am reading at the moment. As of right now I am reading Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein. It's a good book so far. It follows a young man who has joined the Terran Mobile Infantry, which is said to be the toughest boot camp in the universe. At the moment in the book, the main character is still in boot camp and is thinking about leaving it. There is a part in the book that caught my attention. It goes "'The Court sentences you' he went on, while I felt sick, 'to ten lashes and Bad Conduct Discharge.' Hendrick gulped. 'I want to resign'" (page 95). Here is a little background to the situation. Hendrick had hit his commander at boot camp but he thinks he is in the right because he was hit first. That doesn't matter though because you are to never hit your commander unless you are sparring with him or it is part of the training. After he pleads his case the court sentences him to ten lashes and a dishonorable discharge. This stuck with me because of two things. The first was that Hendrick thought he would be alright just because his commander hit him first. The second is that that seemed like a harsh punishment. It made me think if is like our actual military. It probably something like that but I do not think anyone will get whipped. It kind of makes me think that if anyone would to join the military, that you can not stand a millimeter out of line before you are beaten back into place. What would be the punishments to those who go past that millimeter? I do not know. The book is good at the moment and I will hopefully not drop this one. Until next time.

2 comments:

  1. I like the same genre of books! Sounds like an interesting book, I might check it out after I finish the book I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A book that you might like is "In the After". I enjoyed this book, and since you like science fiction, I thought you would enjoy it as well.

      Delete

Nightmare Academy by Dean Lorey. A book of monsters and loneliness and the first of many books to read

My book that I read is called "Monster Hunters" by Dean Lorey.   This is going to be one of my fiction books for this 9 weeks. I ...